Wednesday 11 June 2014

Every 4 Years or 'David Tries Taking Stock'

And World Cup fever grips the nation.

I love the World Cup. The wall chart is at the ready. The excitement held in the minds of millions is palpable. We've even got some nice Brazillian weather to accompany it. Of all its accomplishments, so far the tournement has made me think. Taking place every 4 years, World Cups are far apart but close together. If you look back to last World Cup, South Africa 2010 and consider where you were, what you were doing and who you were with, I bet you'll be surprised at what you've done in a short space of time.

I for one was standing in Hyde Park with my mum. We were watching England play Germany on the big screen put up to entertain concert goers before Paul McCartney took to the stage with 38 hits loved by millions. Unfortunately, England entertained fans a great deal more than Elvis Costello who came on, played 4 songs and then (understandably) left as the oohs and aahs were directed at England's efforts to topple the European giants. We didn't even get 'Oliver's Army' or 'She'.

The setting is important as, for me, that day marked a turning point in my life. I like to call Summer 2010 the summer of gigs. I saw Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton and Green Day in a very quick succession. This summer also marked the run up to me starting my degree in English at St Mary's University. It's strange looking back. At that day, in the sweltering sun, pulling up the grass-turned-hay, I was on a gap year, I had no job, I was single. I'm not afraid or ashamed to admit that I didn't have a great gap year. I wasn't productive enough or proactive enough to get myself moving.

Now, looking back, I can happily say that me and Charlotte: the missus, partner, girlfriend, will be moving in together in a couple of months and we celebrate our 2 year anniversary very soon. I am coming to the end of my Master's degree in Children's Literature after proudly graduating with a 2.1 and honours from that English BA. On top of this I have two jobs. One at my university library gaining a backbone of experience that will hopefully carry me into a career. The other as an intern at the Wimbledon BookFest. Also today I attend a meeting as a judge of the BookFest's Young Writer's Competition; a position awarded to me on account of my writing, my MA and my knowledge of literature. I'm proud to have been a film journalist for 11 months with The Hollywood News, interviewing the likes of Jason Statham, Dara O'Briain, Helen Mirren and Steve Coogan. I also had my first ever published work there. I've made great friends, I've lived in halls, I've lived in a house. I've explored London and found a list of favourite places that have become part of me. I was even longlisted for a short story anthology. I've read books, I've written, I got a tattoo, I've started projects, completed a few and generally had the best four years of my life. I have a feeling I've done more than that, but off the top of my head that's pretty damn great.

And all this in the space of 4 years. It makes me excited for the future, to know that by the time the next World Cup grips the nation, I may have a new list of accomplishments to be proud of.

So I'd urge you to do the same. Have a real think and consider where you've come from and where you're going. And if this proves anything, as television and advert breaks seem to be telling us: the World Cup really does relate to everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment